2017 Finale Video

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Giving Up

I was watching a commercial on TV about the newest and most powerful devices in technology and started to feel the need to get my hands on one. Bigger, better, faster, mobile I WANT IT, I NEED IT, I'LL DO ANYTHING TO GET IT. At least that thought crossed my mind until
I looked at my son and thanked God that what I want, need and will do anything to have was right in front of me.

When you come to a point in your life where the only thing you know you need is life itself, you know what it means to give up everything. Until you reach that point, and you will before you know it, you will feel the need to have everything given to you. It is a natural feeling to need and want but when life is the only thing you are hanging onto, nothing else matters like it use too. To give away even what you don't have seems impossible and unnatural but we are asked by the One who owns everything in universe to give without asking. It doesn't seem fair that God would ask us to give when we are so needy.
God has enough blessing for everyone doesn't he? Why do I have to give? I still have needs but I guess I can give to my brother or sister. Maybe I have a little more that I can squeeze to share with my neighbor, but that's it. You want me to do what?! After I give all I have you want me to give to someone I don't even know or care about? Give to my enemy?!

Jesus says

"But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you. "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. (Luke 6:27-36 NIV)

In this world today it is harder than ever to give away your time and money because we are so needy. But again, when all we need is life itself, what else really matters? Why not give away what we think we need when we have it before we lose it all and there is truly nothing to give?

As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. "Truly I tell you," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on." (Luke 21:1-4 NIV)

Even those with the greatest needs in life still have something left to give.

I consider all who read my blog friends and until September is over I will ask you to be aware of children suffering with cancer, especially those who are either hospitalized or on hospice. Give where ever you can, I have many links to donate to on my blog and Facebook page. Raise awareness by sharing pages of kids with cancer. Share words of encouragement to families living their worst nightmares on Caring Bridge, Facebook or other pages. When September is over and the push for awareness has to wait another year, take it personally to NEGU (never ever give up) on these kids who deserve a miracle that is from your heart and your hands.

Thanks for all you have done for me.

No comments: