2017 Finale Video

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Letters

A long time ago, long before texting, long before Facebook, long before blogging and e-mail there was an envelop with a stamp and address on it that contained a folded piece of paper, with writing on it from a pen or pencil.

It was something that people used to send messages to each other, long distances away, and it could take days to send and receive these "letters" between friends.

At summer camp one year (a long, long, LOOONG time ago) I met someone and became friends and we would soon become what used to be called a "pen pal." We would write things to each other about what was happening in our lives and would begin to build a relationship that would last even to this day. No matter how we felt we would write and share and even though we never saw each other, we felt connected. We were very faithful to write and we could count the days from the time the letter was sent until it would arrive.

Now in this day of age we can send messages and receive them instantly, but there is a problem that I observe. When I sent a letter that would tell of the last 8 days since I sent one, I had a lot of time to think of the words I would use. I would want to use the best sentences as to describe vividly what my friend would read. I wanted to make a lasting impact and hoped my friend would also think deeply of words to share.

Now that we have the luxury of instantly responding, I feel there is something missing. There are feelings that are raw and uncensored and filled with emotion that may not be the same a few days later, but when I had time to write I would write what I thought was true and pure because I had only one chance every week. There is one letter that I read almost daily from a friend from a long time ago because I know this friend was wise and would not waste a single word in sharing with me.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1 NIV)

This letter of Love was written with you in mind. It was sent to you on paper written with pen and stamped and sealed for security. There is no mistake that the author has made because he had eternity to write it and present it from the beginning of time until the end. You can read these words and trust them with your life, and you can remember them and recall the hope they give because the Author of life has written directly to your heart greatest needs. So next time you go to check your email or friends Facebook status remember this:

For, "All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord endures forever."
And this is the word that was preached to you. (1 1:24-25 NIV)

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14 NIV)

No comments: