2017 Finale Video

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Thirsty for a Cure

I hate to say it, but summer is already starting to fly by way too fast and since Oregon summers don't start until July 5th its makes for a very small window of opportunity to enjoy it. The good news is that there are quite a few days in September and October that still have a late summer feel but now is the time to take advantage. As August brings the heat I start to think about September and as many are becoming more and more aware, September is the month to make the big push for our kids fighting cancer. Last August a month after my son Lincoln was diagnosed with leukemia, I felt the need to keep from being stagnant like my neighbors swimming pool which would start growing mosquitoes a week after they filled it up. I needed to do something that would keep the fighting spirit in me going and by the time September came I would be ready to share that childhood cancer is not rare. I launched the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/redcarpetkidsforthecure because I saw the way people were Celebrating kids and their facebook and Caring Bridge pages and I wanted to extend the celebration on a virtual Red Carpet made just for kids fighting for their lives. Since a lot of kids show true heroism with courage, faith and resilience, I wanted people to know that these kids should not be looked at as "sick" but as Celebrities. The page is simple and keeps fans informed on new arrivals, birthdays, news of N.E.D. and even celebrations of life. It takes the drama out of things and draws people in just to share in the happy moments of the harsh realities these kids endure.

This year as August is approaching I have a few things in mind to empower peoples awareness and take it to the next level. As August heats up so will the need to drink a lot of water. If you know me I work outside in the direct sunlight and I drink a lot during the day. My day always starts with home brewed coffee, as much as I can get before heading out the door. I like a frozen bottle of water that melts during the day but sometimes I stop to buy a Gatorade or Rockstar to perk me up when its going to be a long day. When I get home I get out my daddy sized frozen mug filled with ice and topped off with water until it starts kicking in. I have tried to eliminate any kind of soda, pop or as you call it in the south 'coke' because it puts me in a coma after a quick but short sugar high.

There is a trend that comes with drinking that most people would not consider abnormal, but here is the point I am trying to make. I am going to challenge myself, and anyone who would see this as an opportunity to raise awareness and fund research, to a drinking contest. This won't be any ordinary drinking game but one that could possible change a lot of habits for those willing.

As I look at my son when he is in the hospital hooked up to a bag of fluids knowing he can't run or play like he should I wish that I could just do it for him. Here is what I am proposing: in preparation for September, enduring the hottest month of the year, I challenge those who spend an average of $1 or more per day on any kind of beverage, to save yourself at least $1 a day by drinking only water, homemade coffee, milk or favorite fruit juice.


I'm not saying you can't have your $4 Starbucks or whatever because you have to take the challenge to save at least $30 in August to donate to the cause of your choice. There are a number of foundations listed on this blog that you could choose from that fund cancer research just for kids. If you are looking forward to a support team for a child you know in September, you will have at least $30 ready to help out their families in need. This should be so easy that some of you could do it in less than ten days. You might even take $30 out of savings and put it in your wallet and try not to spend it when you think you need a drink. I would heavly suggest this to those who would give up their favorite evening beverage, which if this would help, we could call it "Cure Pong" LOL!

Remember your doing it for those who can't do it on their own and if you can donate $30 a month to the local caffine druglords or the Queen of Dairy or the Amped up, Rockstar, Slurpee Monster, you can do it for a young boy or girl fighting for their lives. Let the challenge begin August 1 and comment on this blog, PM me on facebook or watch out for the facebook Event that I will create for the cause http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/events/347165605357968/?notif_t=plan_user_joined to let me know who is in and who is going to get a bad leg cramp in the middle of the night because they didn't drink enough water. Cheers!

Like the authors page @ http://www.facebook.com/#!/briansphirstblog

1 comment:

kellie said...

Finally taking the time to absorb what Thirsty for a Cure is and I love it. What an easy way to encourage people to save and donate. As I am reading your blog post I am again struck by the similarities between you and my husband, Barry. I think I have mentioned it to you before. The coffee in the morning, the working outside, the frozen bottle of water and mugs in the freezer, and you're a runner.....you wouldn't happen to be paleo and a great cook would you?

Hoping that in some point in our childhood cancer awareness journey you and Barry can meet. I have my fingers crossed for next September in Washington which would mean Bronwyn would have had her heart transplant and cleared for travel by then.