2017 Finale Video

Friday, July 20, 2012

The Dark Night


Less than 24 hours ago people were lined up anxiously waiting in line for the midnight premier of the latest installment of the new Batman movie, "The Dark Knight Rises." All over the country people wanted to see how this mysterious superhero would once again bring evil to justice, but for the faithful fans of Aurora, Colorado the Dark Knight will forever be remembered as a night of darkness and chaos. Now as news breaks of the nations largest loss of life in US history, this shooting will not go unforgiven in the hearts of those who seek revenge on one individual.

I talked to a few people today as the details of the story unfolded and I heard things like this:
"I am so glad my plans were cancelled, I could have died!"
"I hope that guy hangs himself so taxpayers don't have to put him through trial."
"Let's pray for the victims and families of this horrible tragedy."
"This is unacceptable, intolerable and this crime will not go unpunished"
"Why, God, WHY?!"

There were probably a million mixed emotional responses to this reckless massacre but there is one thing that I bet not one person asked themselves. You know Batman's story is very much the same as last night's events when his parents were murdered by a perfect stranger, but no one would think to ask "What Would Batman Do?"

As Bruce Wayne grew older he sought revenge to the point of trying to avenge his parents by killing the murderer in public after he was set free from another crime. His plans were interrupted when another criminal stepped in to do the deed. At that time Wayne decided that revenge would not be enough for one petty thug, but justice must be brought to all who were victimized by sinister evildoers.

As I have grown up from a playful child into an intellectual adult,  I can't help but think of the spiritual message being relayed through the stories of Batman that I hope to pass onto to my children. As a believer who fights to keep the faith on a Dark Night like this one, I remember the words of my Heavenly Father "Vengeance is Mine!"

I know about...100% of people who do Not want anything to do with Jury Duty, so why would anyone want to play Judge? While revenge is still fresh in the hearts of people who are suffering from their losses, remember that Batman stands for so much more than the punishment of one individual. He rises for justice, past and future, and he will fight to see these injustices pay dearly!


Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written:
"It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"t says the Lord.
On the contrary:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Join my Blog Page http://www.facebook.com/briansphirstblog
and group @ http://www.facebook.com/groups/132084550254587/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Hate the sin,love the sinner" was the thought that came to my mind. Not always easy, but I guess just having the thought is progress.

Gwen Haag
Fairport,New York