2017 Finale Video

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Something for Nothing

Have you ever seen someone in need and you knew that you could help them out but you let the opportunity pass by? Here, where I live, you will see homeless people on every corner wherever a lot of traffic stops at a light. I drive all over the city and I see them everyday and I know some of the faces because I see them so much. I have given them things before, from food to a dollar in change, but its everyday and all the time and I just won't do it for everyone. I have heard a million excuses why we should not give anything to the poor people holding the cardboard signs, like they are laborers picketing for higher wages, but why do people truly pass up the opportunity to give?


The Bible says:
A woman came to Jesus with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.  When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. "Why this waste?" they asked. "This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor." Aware of this, Jesus said to them, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her."

In this story the disciples of Jesus thought they had the whole Giving thing figured out. They didn't have much themselves and when they saw this woman wasting the perfume, which some have said would be worth a years wages, they were less than pleased. Jesus rebuked them saying that they shouldn't worry about it, because there will always be opportunities to give. I think the disciples saw the the value of the perfume was the value of the the praise they would receive had they been able to sell the perfume. Think about it, when was the last time you gave something without feeling the need for someone to say Thank You.


It is unfortunate that people want to give, but need to receive something in return for their efforts. It is not up to the giver to decide the reward they will receive but to the One who sees the act of giving to those in need. Its just in human nature, which is corrupted by sin, and that is why we don't give, even when we have more than enough to do so.

Today when you think about our kids fighting cancer remember that they are just kids and you will do anything for them even when they scream and cry after you think you just gave them the perfect gift.
And don't worry about What will be given to you in return or When it will happen because God also promises

Join my blog group http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/132084550254587/
 Join the Truth 365 film page @ http://www.facebook.com/theTruth365film

No comments: